Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Rice is served many time in Ghana as dinner. This is a basic Tomato Ghanaian Gravy that can be served over plain white rice. From the website Buchele Ghana Adventure. Post for ZWT4.
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 8 tomatoes, Romas preferred
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 green pepper, diced (optional)
- Heat oil in frying pan and saute onions until soft, but not brown.
- Add tomatoes, cayenne pepper, seasoning salt and thyme (plus green pepper is using).
- Fry for 30 minutes until tomatoes are soft and deep red in color.
My husband is Ghanaian and we use a similar recipe with a few minor changes. We add 4 Maggi cubes and add a Scotch Bonnet pepper to add a little heat to it. Delicious!
Delicious Mary, simply delicious. My dh & I really enjoyed this tasty dish. I served the gravy over white steamed rice. What lovely flavor, a great comfort dish. We loved the heat in the tomato gravy. I only added the onions, next time I will add the green peppers also. Thanks for sharing a dish that I will be making again. Forgot to add that I also garnished my baked haddock with the gravy, it worked really well, a memorable combination :)