Recipe by That is Dr House to you
In Japan agar and the desserts made from it are called Kanten. Vary the amount of agar depending if you like a soft or a firm gel. Note if acidic fruit you may need more agar.
Directions See How It's Made
- fruit can be sliced or cubed. You may want to strain the cooked mix to remove undissolved agar but you don't have to do so. You can also soak the agar but you don't have to.
- In med saucepan combine the first two ingredients. Boil over medium heat, stir often then when it boils reduce heat, keep stirring and simmer, stirring often until agar dissolves. You are looking at about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool about 20 minutes. You want it warm. Stir occasionally while cooling.
- Arrage fruit in the mold or dish you are using. IF not using individual molds use about 8 inch baking dish. Pour gel over fruit. Let set in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Note you can use 9 inch dish and chil warm mix in it til set. Then cut into cubes and toss with fruit.
- Prep is chill time. Cooking is cook and sitting time.