Recipe by Oregon
This Basic frosting mix came from a now out-of-print cookbook. It is the frosting that garnished most of our cakes growing up at a time when I had no idea there was any such thing as a cake-in-a-box or prepackaged frosting. The stuff at the store doesnt compare. Additionally you can make this any flavor by simply substituting the vanilla. For example lemon juice & zest, chocolate, maple flavoring, peppermint flavoring, etc.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (Crisco recommended)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine (butter tastes better)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla (real vanilla is best)
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and Shortening Add Vanilla Using a mixer, beat at Medium speed.
- Slowly sift in Confectioners sugar Keeping mixer at Medium speed or below.
- Once sugar is completely mixed in, add Milk.
- Mix at High speed until light and fluffy Cover with a damp cloth until ready to use.