Recipe by lazyme
Another recipe that I acquired from a Chinese cooking class that I took. This is a basic fried rice recipe, but has lots of optional ingredients that you can pick and choose to add to the rice.
Top Review by alvinakatz
I had to make this because I needed a new way to use my garden lettuce. Worked out great. I used baked tofu instead of meat and used a bit more of the sauce to compensate for the milder flavor of the tofu. I also used cucumber and mushrooms. <br/>Folding in the eggs made it fast, but there are no egg bits, if that is what you crave. I was fine without them.<br/>I was a bit confused about how much extras to put in. One cup of each category or one cup total? I went with 1 cup total (ok, a bit more since lettuce is primarily water).
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked, cold
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil, to 4
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sherry wine
- 2 eggs, beaten
Meat Choices (use 1 cup)
- roast pork (optional)
- roast beef (optional)
- lamb, roasted (optional)
- duck, roasted (optional)
- turkey, roasted (optional)
- chicken, roasted (optional) or chicken, boiled (optional)
- boiled ham (optional) or baked ham (optional)
- bacon, pan fried (optional)
- Chinese sausage, steamed (optional)
Seafood Choices (use 1 cup)
- crabmeat, flaked (optional)
- lobster, boiled and diced (optional)
- shrimp, cooked (optional)
Vegetable Choices (use 1 cup)
- bamboo shoot (optional)
- bean sprouts, blanched (optional)
- celery, blanched (optional)
- cucumber, add at the very end (optional)
- green peas, parboiled (optional)
- lettuce, add at the very end (optional)
- mushrooms, fresh, canned (soak if dried, optional) (optional) or dried mushroom (soak if dried) (optional)
- onion (optional)
- bell pepper (optional)
- pimiento (optional)
- scallion (optional)
- string bean, parboiled (optional)
- tomatoes, peeled, add at the very end (optional)
- water chestnut (optional)
- 1 tablespoon almonds, blanched and chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon peanuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, blanched and chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice or shred meat and vegetables.
- Heat oil in wok; stir-fry green onions.
- Add fresh vegetables and stir-fry to soften.
- Add canned vegetables and meat; stir-fry to heat and blend flavors.
- Remove from wok.
- Heat some more oil if needed, to smoking.
- Add rice and heat through completely.
- Return vegetables and meat to wok, add soy sauce, salt, sugar and sherry.
- Fold in eggs and turn off heat just as they begin to set.
- SUGGESTED combinations:.
- beef, onions and green pepper.
- bacon, onions, lettuce and tomatoes.
- chicken, onions and bean sprouts.
- chicken, bamboo shoots, mushrooms and cucumber.