Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
If you enjoy the taste of wild game as I do, and don't want to alter the taste of the meat too much except to put a nice coating on it here it is. Just the basics for the home or the camp.
- 1 rabbit or 1 squirrel
- butter, melted,as needed for the size
- corn flakes, crushed,as needed
- cooking oil or shortening or bacon grease, as needed
- Remove legs from body of dressed rabbit or squirrel.
- Split the body down the back through the breast.
- Cut each half in two crosswise.
- Dip meat pieces in melted butter.
- Roll pieces into crushed corn flakes coating all around.
- Brown meat in hot oil on each side.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Note: Some people like to soak the meat in salted water a few hours before cooking.
- If so cover the body with water in a pot and add 3 Tablespoons of salt.
- Then drain, rinse, and pat the body dry before cooking.
- I often do this especially if the animal appears to be old.
Don't let the the hair touch the meat. This will prevent a really gamey taste.