Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- Make a mound of the flour in the center of a large wooden cutting board.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the eggs, oil and any other flavoring you may choose.
- Using a fork, beat together the eggs, oil and flavorings and begin to incorporate the flour starting with the inner rim of the well.
- As you expand the well, keep pushing the flour up to retain the well shape.
- Do not worry that this initial phase looks messy.
- The dough will come together when 1/2 of the flour is incorporated.
- Start kneading the dough with both hands, using the palms of your hands primarily.
- Once you have a cohesive mass, remove the dough from the board and scrape up any left over crusty bits.
- Lightly flour the board and continue kneading for 3 more minutes.
- The dough should be elastic and a little sticky.
- Continue to knead for another 3 minutes, remembering to dust your board when necessary.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
My boyfriend and I made this one night because we didn't have any semolina flour for making pasta, so this seemed like our best bet. It started out rather well but quickly turned into a "what the hell" situation...we ended up adding an extra egg yolk because the fat content was so low it wasn't holding together or behaving like it should have... I would make this again, but tweak a few things first.