Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Make and share this Basic French Silk Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 graham cracker pie crust or 1 pie crust
- 226.79 g bittersweet chocolate
- 4 large eggs
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 12.32 ml pure vanilla extract
- 12.32 ml cognac or 12.32 ml Kahlua or 12.32 ml Grand Marnier
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler set over simmering water.
- Set aside to cool to thick but still liquid.
- Combine eggs and sugar in a double broiler until hot but not scrambled.
- Remove from heat.
- With a mixer beat the chocolate into the egg mixture, then beat in the cold butter.
- Beat for 15 minutes--yes 15 minutes--you wanted silk.
- Beat in vanilla and booze.
- Scrape the filling into the shell and chill in fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Serve with whipped cream.
WOW! This is a super smooth pie. I left out the booze and used a chocolate graham crust. It was really good. My hubby is a chocoholic and he loved it! Thanks I will be making this again.
I wish I liked this pie more than I did. It was made to be a birthday pie for my youngest daughter, who loves Bakers Square French Silk pie. I guess we hoped for something along those lines, but this recipe is not. It makes a bitter-sweet chocolate filling -- as opposed to a sweet-chocolate French Silk. *I should note that the family members who like dark chocolate thought it tasted very good.* My other objection is the volume that the recipe makes. As you can see in the photo that I posted (the one with the butterfly crust that my daughter painstakingly cut out with tiny double cookie cutters), it only filled the 10 inch, pre-baked pie shell half-way. Considering the concaved edges of a pie plate, that is not a lot of filling. If you mound the whipped cream above the crust line at all, it is going to be a one-third chocolate, two-thirds whipped cream pie -- not my ideal ratio. In the end, if you like shallow dark chocolate pies: you will probably like this one. If you want Bakers Square style: you will have to find your car keys.
This pie had good flavor, but was way to rich for my family. It was more like eating fudge. But like I said, it did have good flavor.