You CAN make this without using a raw egg; see directions. This classic mayo is delicious, but please note that it won't keep as long in the fridge as commercial mayos do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1The oil you use is up to you, and you can use one oil or a combination of oils; try using just canola oil the first time you make this, but using 1 cup canola oil and 1/4 cup olive oil is nice, too.
- 2Also note that if you want a very thick mayonnaise, don't use one egg: use two egg yolks instead.
- 3Okay, note number three: according to the folks at Cuisinart, you can substitute 2 tbsp of Egg Beaters for the raw egg; you OMIT the lemon juice/vinegar when you do this; I have never done this myself, mind you, so I can't vouch for the taste of the results.
- 4Okay, let's make mayo.
- 5Into your food processor (fitted with the metal blade, with the food pusher left in), place the egg, lemon juice, mustard, and ONE TBSP of the oil.
- 6Process for one minute only.
- 7The food pusher in your food processor should have a small hole in its bottom; that is for recipes like this one.
- 8The next step is to place 1/4 cup of the oil in the food pusher; with the machine running, let this small amount of oil dribble through.
- 9Turn machine off and remove food pusher; then turn back on and SLOWLY pour remaining oil in.
- 10When done, taste; add salt and/or pepper if you wish.
- 11If you want a herby mayo, add 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh herbs (try parsley) in at the beginning, along with the egg.
- 12Keep mayo refrigerated.
- 13Note that this is REAL mayo, not the commercial stuff loaded with preservatives, and foods prepared with it shouldn't be left at room temperature too long.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Food Processor Mayonnaise
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1662.5
- Calories from Fat 1667
- Total Fat 185.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 124.0 mg
- Sodium 160.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 4.6 g