1/2 Photos of Basic Fish Fry
On the less frequent occasion that I fry fish, this is the recipe I use...Served with oven roasted potatoes and a tossed green salad, it's a dream meal!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In one pie plate, combine the milk and pepper; this is your 'wet' mix.
- 2In another pie plate, combine the flour, cornmeal and paprika; this is your 'dry' mix.
- 3In an electric skillet, heat the oil to 350°F.
- 4Dip fish into the 'wet' mix, then roll in the 'dry' mix to cover completely.
- 5Fry the fish filets, a few at a time, in the hot oil for approx 4 min or less per side, until the fish is nicely browned and serve.
- 6Don't fry them all at the same time or you'll cool down the oil too much and it will have to heat back up to temperature (NOT a good thing).
- 7If frying in a dutch oven, use a meat thermometer to check your oil temperature, before you fry.
- 8If using a deep fryer machine, please follow your manufacturer's instructions/booklet.
- 9Substitutions: if haddock isn't available, substitute hake, pollock, flounder, tilapia or cod instead; you can also use the SKIM version of evaporated milk.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Fish Fry
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.3
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 89.4 mg
- Sodium 116.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 30.9 g