1/1 Photo of Basic Fat Free Gravy
1 hr 5 mins
Several years ago, DH was in the hospital with a heart condition and was placed on a fat restricted diet. This recipe was provided by the hospital and I have used it since to make wonderful gravy, especially at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Browning the flour is the key to rich fat-free gravy
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour or 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth or 1 cup pan dripping
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
Mushroom gravy variation
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
Gravy for stuffing or dressing
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth (optional)
- 1 egg white (optional)
- 1Heat a heavy skillet over low heat.
- 2Add flour and cook, stirring occasionally until light brown.
- 3Before using meat drippings, remove the fat by placing in a seperator or quick chill in freezer for about 30 to 60 minutes and skim visible fat from top.
- 4Put 1/2 of defatted drippings/broth in a jar, add the browned flour.
- 5Cover tightly and shake until mixture is smooth.
- 6Pour into a saucepan, add remaining liquid.
- 7Bring to a simmer and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly until desired consistency.
- 8Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 9If desired add a few drops of Kitchen Bouquet until desired color.
- 10Please Note: The cooking time allows for the quick chill method on the broth.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Fat Free Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 14.2
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 122.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: