Several years ago, DH was in the hospital with a heart condition and was placed on a fat restricted diet. This recipe was provided by the hospital and I have used it since to make wonderful gravy, especially at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Browning the flour is the key to rich fat-free gravy
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour or 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth or 1 cup pan dripping
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
Mushroom gravy variation
- 1⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
Gravy for stuffing or dressing
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth (optional)
- 1 egg white (optional)
- Heat a heavy skillet over low heat.
- Add flour and cook, stirring occasionally until light brown.
- Before using meat drippings, remove the fat by placing in a seperator or quick chill in freezer for about 30 to 60 minutes and skim visible fat from top.
- Put 1/2 of defatted drippings/broth in a jar, add the browned flour.
- Cover tightly and shake until mixture is smooth.
- Pour into a saucepan, add remaining liquid.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly until desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If desired add a few drops of Kitchen Bouquet until desired color.
- Please Note: The cooking time allows for the quick chill method on the broth.
My flour didn't brown and I found it tasteless
Made for zaar tag. This was really easy to make and it turned out to be very good! I found the kitchen bouquet at my local super-walmart in the BBQ sauce aisle. This low-fat recipe is a keeper!