Recipe by ??? Dreaming ???
A "white" vegan cake which actually tastes OK! Quick and simple ... nothing fancy. Can be changed about as you like. Suggestions: Add nuts, glace cherries, choc chips, cocoa, lemon/orange rind, coffee etc. to the mix. Add cocoa powder, lemon/orange rind or coffee to the icing or replace water with orange/lemon juice. Decorate with nuts, cherries, coloured strands or grated chocolate. You get the idea! Or they're nice just plain. Sorry if my US conversions are a bit out!
- 1 1⁄4 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 cup soya flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all- vegetable margarine
- 75 ml orange juice
- 75 ml water
- flavoring (suggestions above) (optional)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 -4 tablespoons warm water (or a mix of the two) or 2 -4 tablespoons lemons (or a mix of the two) or 2 -4 tablespoons orange juice (or a mix of the two)
- flavoring (optional, suggestions above)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to gas 3 / 325f.
- MIX: In a large bowl "cream" sugar and marg until smooth.
- Sieve flour and soya flour and bicarb of soda (plus cocoa or coffee if using) in to sugar and marg.
- Mix well.
- Add juice and water.
- Add other flavouring(s) if using.
- Spoon evenly in to 12 cake cases.
- Bake for 25-35 mins, until cakes spring back when poked.
- Leave to cool completely.
- ICING: Sieve icing sugar (plus falvouring if using) into bowl.
- Add water/juice until it is at your desired thickness, stirring it at same time. A little liquid is usually enough!
- Spoon onto the cool cakes, adding any decoration on top of unset icing.