Prep 0 mins
Cook 12 hrs
I searched through many fabulous looking recipes on this site, but I needed something very basic, traditional and that I could cook overnight in a crock pot with minimal prep in the morning. I served this as a side dish at a lunch for 20 people and there were no leftovers! Important: since they are basic mashed potatoes I did serve them with gravy (along with fried chicken, biscuits and green beans. Hope you enjoy!
- 7 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper (important to use white pepper only)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half (more or less to the consistency of your liking)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (to garnish)
- Place peeled and quartered potatoes in a large crock pot and fill with water.
- Cook on low over night for 8 hours.
- In the morning drain potatoes (if desired save some potato water for gravy base) and mash with remaining ingredients.
- Dot with extra butter.
- Transport crock pot (if necessary) and cook on low for 3 hours, stir and serve immediately.
This was very good! I also loved being able to do everything in the crockpot. I also had to use a good bit more half-and-half. Thanks for posting.
Made this recipe to free up space on the stove this Thanksgiving. The recipe was so simple to prepare, and everyone in the family enjoyed it. I love the fact that the entire recipe is made from start to finish in the crock pot. So many recipes I found were made on the stove top then transferred to the crock to be kept warm. I will continue to make this recipe for years to come. Thank you for posting this recipe.
I love this recipe! Thank you Foodie Friend for posting it. I love mashed potatoes. I don't make them because I get off work around 5:30 (I work at home) and try to have dinner on the table between 6 - 6:30. Now I can make mashed potatoes again. I mashed the potatoes around 8:00 am put them in slow cooker on the keep warm setting. They were perfect at 6:30. The only problem I had was not eating them all before dinner. This recipe is so good!