Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Posted per a request. This is a Great Aunt's recipe from our Family Recipe Cookbook. I'm not sure how many cookies it makes or the prep time(probably varies depending on ingredients you include)
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar (or 1 cup white, 1 cup brown)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Sift and Add
- 4 cups flour (or 2 cups flour, 2 cups quick oats)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup nuts
- Hopefully the Cream Together, Stir in, and Sift and Add directions above will make sense to everyone.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Any one of the following could also be added: 1/2 cup chopped dates; 1 cup chocolate chips, 1 cup coconut.
This recipe was posted for me, and thank you very much for posting it. I made so many cookies for Christmas with this recipe. I think I made 2 or 3 batches, and it produced countless cookies. I added so many different things to make so many different kinds of cookies. Some things I added: coccoa powder (to make chocolate), chocolate chunks, nuts, butterscotch, cinnamon, chopped peanutbutter cup, and cookie cutters by adding a little extra flour. Thank you very much for taking the time to post this!
You know I have made these so many times and never thought to come and update my review...how terrible of me. These are standard in my house now with the dayhome kid's allergies. I double the recipe and make 1/2 into chocolate chip and half into raisin (my daughter doesnt like raisins). We add peanut butter chips and walnuts, and smarties...whatever we have on hand. They never last long around here.