Recipe by Sue Lau
Basic kitchen stuff. Or "How to avoid canned sodium 101". If you like salt, put it in on your own.
- 4 -5 1⁄2 lbs bone-in chicken parts (or 1 4-5 1/2 pound roasting chicken, rinsed)
- 16 cups water
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
- 1 bouquet garni (Bouquet Garni)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken and water in stockpot, making sure water level covers chicken.
- Bring to a boil over med-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, skimming off foam, until it clears (try not to agitate too much from the bottom at this point).
- Add onions, carrots, celery, and bouquet garni sachet, and simmer uncovered for approximately 3 hours, maintaining water level to cover chicken.
- At the end of cooking time, strain mixture through a sieve (don't press the vegetables or mixture will cloud) into a clean pot and allow to cool.
- Refrigerate, then remove fat before using, if desired (it should rise to the top).
- You can freeze any you don't want to use right away at this point, or use immediately (I put my extra into ice-cube trays then into plastic bags once it has frozen).