Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 453.59 g chicken parts
- 1 large onion
- 3 stalk celery, including some leaves
- 1 large carrot
- 7.39 ml salt
- 3 whole cloves
- 1419.54 ml water
- 59.14 ml cold water (optional)
- 1 egg
- Quarter onion.
- Chop scrubbed celery and carrot into 1 inch chunks.
- Place chicken pieces, onion, celery, carrot, salt, and cloves in large soup pot or Dutch oven.
- Add 6 cups water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken and vegetables.
- Strain stock.
- Skim fat off the surface.
- To clarify stock for clear soup, removing solid flecks that are too small to be strained out with cheesecloth, follow this method.
- Separate the egg white from the egg yolk, and reserve the shell.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup cold water, egg white, and crushed eggshell.
- Add to strained stock, and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Strain again through a sieve lined with cheesecloth.
Excellent simple stock recipe- makes a lovely base for any soup. There are 3 photos -One after the first straining, the the second straining and finally the lovely chicken veggie, curry soup that I made with it