Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A really simple version of chicken chowder that doesn't require too much effort and NO milk! I like to serve this with some oyster crackers for a nice winter's meal!
- 3 slices bacon (ready-to-serve Oscar Meyer bacon is handy for this!)
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, pre-sliced & drained
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of celery soup (can substitute 98% fat free version)
- 10 ounces water (1 soup can's worth)
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed chicken vegetable soup (can substitute low sodium version)
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole kernel corn (Del Monte preferred)
- 0.5 (8 ounce) can low-sodium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken breasts, diced
- black pepper, to taste
- In a dutch oven, cook the bacon until crispy; remove, drain on paper towel and crumble.
- Reserve 2 tbsp of the fat in the dutch oven and drain off the rest.
- In the reserved fat, in the dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, onions and thyme until the onion is translucent/tender.
- Return the bacon to the dutch oven and add all the other ingredients and pepper to taste.
- Heat until piping hot and serve.