Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
This is a basic cheese sauce that you can spruce up with any herbs or spices you may like. I like this sauce with baked potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, grated (your choice, mozzarella, cheddar, brie)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan on top of stove.
- Add flour and stir until well mixed and bubbly being careful not to scorch.
- Remove from heat and add milk; stirring until well blended.
- Return sauce to heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat, add shredded cheese and parmesan and cook until cheese melts and there is no taste of raw starch.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
I love this recipe! I'm only 13 so i don't know too much about cooking but it was simple and so easy to follow! Thanks for posting! Definetly 5 stars! :)
As a basic cheese sauce it was good. I highly recommend using a sharp cheese, such as sharp cheddar. We used mild at first and it was missing something, we added a little more milk and 1/2 of sharp cheddar and then it was really good. Thank you for the recipe!
I added more cheese and less milk for a cheesier and thicker sauce. Our kids just loved it and have asked if I could make this instead of Kraft dinner, which is usually a treat for them, because they don't get it often! Made for 1-2-3 tag