Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Add sugar/desired sweetener to taste.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 allspice berries
- 6 whole green cardamom pods or 6 white cardamom pods
- 1.23 ml whole black peppercorn
- 0.59 ml fennel seed
- 1.23 ml ground ginger
- ground cloves, a pinch
- 9.85 ml black assam tea leaves
- 9.85 ml sugar (to taste)
- 236.59 ml whole milk
- With the side of a cleaver or chef’s knife, gently crush the whole spices, then add them to a small saucepan, along with ginger, cloves, tea leaves, and sugar.
- Add in 1 cup water and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cover pan and remove from heat; steep for 3 minutes.
- Return pan to low heat and add in milk.
- Bring to just a simmer, then pour through a fine-mesh sieve into 2 warmed teacups or small mugs.
- Serve immediately.
This is really good! I now have to debate which is better, Indian Masala Chai or this one! And I have tried so many. I actually used an orange pekoe tea bag and heavy cream in a way lesser amount. I used white sugar. I will be making this again!!!
WOW! I will never buy pre-packaged Chai tea again! This is super. I don't think I have had fennel seed in my Chai before, and it really adds something. Also, the peppercorns add a little bite that felt good on the throat! Thanks for this keeper.