A basic cake recipe adapted from Carol Fenster's, "Special Diet Celebrations".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup butter or 1/3 cup oleo or 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon gf vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2Coat two 8-inch round pans with cooking spray and line with parchment paper or waxed paper.
- 3Using an electric mixer and large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar on medium speed until thoroughly blended.
- 4Mix in eggs and grated lemon peel on low speed until blended.
- 5In a medium bowl, sift together flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 6In another medium bowl, combine buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- 7On low speed, beat dry ingredients into butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk, beginnning and ending with dry ingredients.
- 8Mix just until combined.
- 9Spoon batter into prepared pans and smooth tops.
- 10Bake 8-inch cakes for about 30-35 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 11Let cakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove from pan, and cool on rack.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Cake (Gluten-Free)
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 191.3
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 49.2 mg
- Sodium 177.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 17.4 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: