Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A basic cake recipe adapted from Carol Fenster's, "Special Diet Celebrations".
Make and share this Basic Cake (Gluten-Free) recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup oleo or 1⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1⁄3 cup potato starch
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon gf vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Coat two 8-inch round pans with cooking spray and line with parchment paper or waxed paper.
- Using an electric mixer and large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar on medium speed until thoroughly blended.
- Mix in eggs and grated lemon peel on low speed until blended.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another medium bowl, combine buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- On low speed, beat dry ingredients into butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk, beginnning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Mix just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans and smooth tops.
- Bake 8-inch cakes for about 30-35 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove from pan, and cool on rack.
Very easy to make.I found it a little dry but didn't have that yuck gluten free taste.Will definately make it again my boys loved it.