Recipe by *Pixie*
A cabbage soup recipe in response to message board. A variation on this is to thicken the soup with 2 tbsp flour mixed with 1/4 water and add 1 tbsp carraway seeds and 2 tbsp butter.
Top Review by Laedy C.
I made this today, with modifications: Added in a little coconut oil(solid not fluid) in place some of the butter. Instead of flour, I used a tablespoon of ground chia. Caraway seeds and 1/4 cup fresh chopped fennel were added. Added in some cubed, left-over ham to compensate for low sodium broth used.(No additional salt was needed) I also used a great deal more cabbage than the 2 cups. The soup came out very rich and creamy. If you don't like creamy, omit the chia. This is really a fantastic base recipe for so so many veggie based soups. Enjoy!
- 2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 cups chicken or 6 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and cook the cabbage and onion in it at a low heat until cabbage is limp (should not get browned).
- Add broth, salt, pepper and cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- The sour cream or cheddar is an optional topping to be added after serving.