Please make certain that the eggs and butter are room temperature, and the milk is slightly warm not hot, this will make an extreme difference to the texture of the cake, please use cake flour and butter only for this recipe! If you prefer a more yellow colour cake you can always add in 1-2 drops of yellow food colouring if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter (very soft but not melted, no substitutes!)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 3 large egg yolks (room temperature, save whites for another time)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk (or use half and half cream)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- 3Lightly butter or use cooking spray on the sides and bottom two 9-inch round cake pans then line with parchment paper, then lightly butter once again.
- 4On medium-high speed of an electric mixer beat butter and sugar until pale and yellow (about 5 minutes).
- 5Add in the eggs and egg yolks; beat until thoroughly combined, then beat in vanilla until blended.
- 6In a small bowl sift together cake flour, baking powder and salt; at low speed add in the flour mixture into the creamed mixture alternating with the milk.
- 7Divide the batter equally between the two cake pans and spread to level.
- 8Bake for about 30 minutes or until cakes test done.
- 9Cool in pans for about 10 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely before frosting.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Butter Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1504 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2511.8
- Calories from Fat 1024
- Total Fat 113.7 g
- Saturated Fat 66.8 g
- Cholesterol 897.3 mg
- Sodium 1595.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 334.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 152.1 g
- Protein 37.7 g