Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Please make certain that the eggs and butter are room temperature, and the milk is slightly warm not hot, this will make an extreme difference to the texture of the cake, please use cake flour and butter only for this recipe! If you prefer a more yellow colour cake you can always add in 1-2 drops of yellow food colouring if desired.
- 1 cup butter (very soft but not melted, no substitutes!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 3 large egg yolks (room temperature, save whites for another time)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm milk (or use half and half cream)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Lightly butter or use cooking spray on the sides and bottom two 9-inch round cake pans then line with parchment paper, then lightly butter once again.
- On medium-high speed of an electric mixer beat butter and sugar until pale and yellow (about 5 minutes).
- Add in the eggs and egg yolks; beat until thoroughly combined, then beat in vanilla until blended.
- In a small bowl sift together cake flour, baking powder and salt; at low speed add in the flour mixture into the creamed mixture alternating with the milk.
- Divide the batter equally between the two cake pans and spread to level.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until cakes test done.
- Cool in pans for about 10 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely before frosting.