Prep 4 hrs 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
these are actually from sara moulton. Prep time includes chilling time. I absolutely love plugra butter and try to use it anytime i make baked goods. if you can find it, use it!!!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes in a standing mixer (preferably fitted with paddle attachment).
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low, then add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Form dough into a 12-inch log (2 inches in diameter) on a sheet of plastic wrap and roll up dough in plastic wrap.
- Chill dough on a baking sheet until firm, at least 4 hours.
- Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the dough into rounds (1/8 to 1/4 depending on preference) and place on cookie sheet about 1 inch apart.
- If garnishing with coarse sugar, sprinkle slices with it.
- Bake cookies, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until edges are golden, 12 to 15 minutes total.
- Cool on sheets 3 minutes, then transfer with a metal spatula to racks to cool completely.