Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A foolproof cake-from-scratch recipe from Sunset.
Make and share this Basic Butter Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In mixer bowl, on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until fluffy (4 to 5 minutes).
- Add eggs, then yolks,one a time, beating well after each, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in about a third of flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Stir in half the milk, just until blended.
- Stir in another third of flour mixture, then remaining milk and finally the rest of the flour mixture.
- Spread batter equally into two the two cake pans.
- Bake until wooden skewer or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (25 to 30 minutes).
- Cool on racks in pans for 10 minutes, then inverte cakes onto racks and remove pans.
- Cool completely before forsting.