Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great sauce for pasta, even makes good pizza sauce. When I make a batch, I normally use half, then freeze the rest in smaller containers so I always have some on hand!
- 1⁄4 cup virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 (28 ounce) cansorganic whole tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- fresh basil, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- kosher salt
- Heat olive oil in sauce pan.
- Add onion and salt. Cook unil translucent.
- Add garlic and cook until starting to turn golden.
- Add 1 cup of the wine,red pepper flakes and tomatoes(with juices).
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Add oregano, then use immersion blender(or transfer to standing blender) to blend until desired consistency.
- Continue to simmer until thickened.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup wine and basil.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.