Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is based off of several brine recipes I've found. I combined them together and lets just say I couldn't stop eating even though I was full. I've used this for poultry, pork & beef. I always leave stuff in to brine over night but you can find brining suggestions here: http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokin-Okies-101-Series/Brining-101
- 8 cups water
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2⁄3 cup kosher salt or 2⁄3 cup pickling salt
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar or 3⁄4 cup white sugar or 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 2 sprigs thyme (optional)
- Some say to chop up the garlic others say leave it whole. Either way works.
- Add all ingredients to water and bring it to a boil.
- Stir occasionally, reduce heat to simmer till all sugar & salt has been dissolved.
- Let cool to safe temperatures before adding the meat.