From William Davis, MD’s book, Wheat Belly Cookbook. He says, “This Basic Bread recipe is our starting place for many variations. As is, this bread can be toasted, can accompany dinner, or can be eaten simply spread with cream cheese, almond or peanut butter, or butter. If used for sandwiches, it may not hold up well with ingredients containing lots of moisture, so add ingredients like tomatoes just before consuming. Easy variations include adding more cinnamon, another 3 tablespoons xylitol, and ½ to ¾ cup raisins for cinnamon raisin bread; adding garlic powder to the flour and grated Parmesan or Romano cheese sprinkled on top for a garlic bread; or adding orange peel, additional cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and cloves for a spicy orange bread. A sweetener like xylitol is optional, though the xylitol does add a nice browning effect to the surface.” Per slice: 158 calories, 7 g protein, 7 g carbohydrates, 12 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 3 g fiber, 299 mg sodium.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup garbanzo flour (chickpea flour)
- 2 tablespoons garbanzo flour (chickpea flour)
- 1/4 cup golden flax seed, ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Xylitol sweetener (or to desired sweetness) or 4 drops liquid stevia (or to desired sweetness)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Prepare 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch loaf pan by greasing.
- 3Using a food processor, combine the almond flour, garbanzo bean flour, flaxseeds, baking soda, the optional cinnamon, and salt. Pulse until well blended. Add the egg yolks, butter, buttermilk, and xylitol or stevia and pulse just until blended.
- 4Add the egg whites to a large mixing bowl and beat on high with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Pour into the flour mixture and pulse until the egg whites are evenly distributed, avoiding running the machine at a constant speed. Spread into the pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 5Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool completely.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Bread (Wheat Free)
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 99.4
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 105.2 mg
- Sodium 325.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: