1 hr 20 mins
This is based on a recipe from Dr. Carol Fenster’s book, Gluten-Free 101. I’ve included both hand and bread machine methods. The recipe as written is for a 1 pound loaf (serves 10); if quantities differ, I’ve noted them in parentheses separated by an "or"; 1.5 pound loaf (serves 15) or 2 pound loaf (serves 20). There are a lot of gluten-free flour blends available in stores and on food.com; the flour blend Carol uses in this recipe is Gluten Free Flour Blend #391326. For the dry milk powder, Carol says do not use Carnation; use cow, rice, or soy dry milk. She also suggests you see Bread 101—a step-by-step guide for baking gluten-free bread by hand at www.glutenfree101.com; click on Recipes, then Bread Recipes, then Bread 101. Cook time doesn’t include rising time. Nutrition info: calories 185; fat 2g; protein 3g; carbohydrates 40g; sodium 192mg; cholesterol 21 mg; fiber < 1g.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar, divided (4.5 teaspoons or 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup water, 110 degrees F (1 1/2 cups or 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour, blend (2 1/4 cups or 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup potato starch (1/2 cup or 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup powdered milk (1/3 cup or 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum (2 t. or 3 t.)
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (1 t. or 1 1/4 t.)
- 1/4 teaspoon soy lecithin (1/2 t. or 1 t.)
- 1 large egg (2 or 2)
- 1 tablespoon butter (1 1/2 T. or 2 T.) or 1 tablespoon canola oil (1 1/2 T. or 2 T.)
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar (1/2 t. or 1 t.)
- 1HAND METHOD:.
- 2Prepare pan(s) by greasing according to the bread weight you’re making: 1 pound loaf uses an 8x4-inch pan, 1 ½ pound loaf uses a 9x5-inch pan, 2 pound loaf calls for two 8x4-inch pans.
- 3Combine dry yeast, 2 teaspoons of the sugar, and warm water. Set aside to let yeast foam, about 5 minutes.
- 4In bowl of heavy-duty stand mixer using regular beaters, not dough hook, combine yeast-mixture with remaining ingredients, including the remaining sugar.
- 5Blend on medium speed for 1 minute, scraping down sides with spatula as needed.
- 6Place dough in prepared pan(s). Cover lightly with foil and let rise at room temperature (75 to 80°F) until dough is level with top of pan. Rising time will vary from 45 to 60+ minutes, depending on altitude and humidity.
- 7Preheat oven to 375°F Using sharp knife, make three diagonal slashes 1/8-inch deep in loaf so steam can escape during baking.
- 8Bake 55 to 65 minutes, or until nicely browned and internal temperature is 205°F on an instant-read thermometer. Do not underbake. Cover with foil tent after 20 minutes of baking to reduce overbrowning.
- 9BREAD MACHINE METHOD:.
- 10Follow bread machine instructions, making sure machine is appropriate size for recipe. Carol shisks dry ingredients together (including yeast) and adds to pan. She then whisks liquid ingredients together (water at room temperature) and pours carefully over dry ingredients.
- 11Set controls and bake. Carol uses the “Normal” setting.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Bread – Gluten-Free
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 69.6
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 24.7 mg
- Sodium 209.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: