Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is based on a recipe from Dr. Carol Fenster’s book, Gluten-Free 101. I’ve included both hand and bread machine methods. The recipe as written is for a 1 pound loaf (serves 10); if quantities differ, I’ve noted them in parentheses separated by an "or"; 1.5 pound loaf (serves 15) or 2 pound loaf (serves 20). There are a lot of gluten-free flour blends available in stores and on food.com; the flour blend Carol uses in this recipe is Gluten Free Flour Blend #391326. For the dry milk powder, Carol says do not use Carnation; use cow, rice, or soy dry milk. She also suggests you see Bread 101—a step-by-step guide for baking gluten-free bread by hand at www.glutenfree101.com; click on Recipes, then Bread Recipes, then Bread 101. Cook time doesn’t include rising time. Nutrition info: calories 185; fat 2g; protein 3g; carbohydrates 40g; sodium 192mg; cholesterol 21 mg; fiber < 1g.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar, divided (4.5 teaspoons or 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup water, 110 degrees F (1 1/2 cups or 2 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups gluten-free flour, blend (2 1/4 cups or 3 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch (1/2 cup or 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup powdered milk (1/3 cup or 1/2 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons xanthan gum (2 t. or 3 t.)
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (1 t. or 1 1/4 t.)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon soy lecithin (1/2 t. or 1 t.)
- 1 large egg (2 or 2)
- 1 tablespoon butter (1 1/2 T. or 2 T.) or 1 tablespoon canola oil (1 1/2 T. or 2 T.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cider vinegar (1/2 t. or 1 t.)
- HAND METHOD:.
- Prepare pan(s) by greasing according to the bread weight you’re making: 1 pound loaf uses an 8x4-inch pan, 1 ½ pound loaf uses a 9x5-inch pan, 2 pound loaf calls for two 8x4-inch pans.
- Combine dry yeast, 2 teaspoons of the sugar, and warm water. Set aside to let yeast foam, about 5 minutes.
- In bowl of heavy-duty stand mixer using regular beaters, not dough hook, combine yeast-mixture with remaining ingredients, including the remaining sugar.
- Blend on medium speed for 1 minute, scraping down sides with spatula as needed.
- Place dough in prepared pan(s). Cover lightly with foil and let rise at room temperature (75 to 80°F) until dough is level with top of pan. Rising time will vary from 45 to 60+ minutes, depending on altitude and humidity.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Using sharp knife, make three diagonal slashes 1/8-inch deep in loaf so steam can escape during baking.
- Bake 55 to 65 minutes, or until nicely browned and internal temperature is 205°F on an instant-read thermometer. Do not underbake. Cover with foil tent after 20 minutes of baking to reduce overbrowning.
- BREAD MACHINE METHOD:.
- Follow bread machine instructions, making sure machine is appropriate size for recipe. Carol shisks dry ingredients together (including yeast) and adds to pan. She then whisks liquid ingredients together (water at room temperature) and pours carefully over dry ingredients.
- Set controls and bake. Carol uses the “Normal” setting.
Very good bread! I had to bake it more than one hour, maybe the liquid was too much for my gf mix, but the result was excellent. DH says it nearly tastes like "normal" bread to him (he's not gluten free), and he's quite picky about bread :) Will make this again, using a little less liquid. Thanks for sharing!
Made for Make My Recipe Reunion / AUS / NZ Forum