Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a very reliable standard bread machine recipe for a 1 lb loaf. Too many people I know have bread machines but don't use them because they don't know how to do anything but use a mix! This will make a nice soft loaf as is, and it's also a great jumping off point for experimentation. Try varying the types of flour, fat, and sugar. Or try adding things like spices, nuts, mustards, or cheeses. My goal with this recipe is to get people comfortable enough with baking in their bread machines that they'll experiment. (If your machine only makes a 2 lb loaf, simply double all the ingredients.)
- 158.51 ml lukewarm water
- 4.92 ml salt
- 14.79 ml butter or 14.79 ml oil
- 14.79 ml sugar or 14.79 ml honey
- 473.18 ml flour
- 29.58 ml nonfat dry milk powder (optional)
- 4.92 ml yeast
- Add the ingredients to your bread pan in the order listed.
- Set your machine to 1 lb / white bread.
- Alternatively, set your machine for the dough cycle. When it's finished, take the dough out, shape it into a round loaf, cover, and let rise until doubled. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.
- In both cases, cool on a wire rack before slicing.
Very good. I used the dough cycle on my bread machine and then let the dough rise before baking in the oven. My kids like this as cinnamon toast.
Thank you so much, dividend! I was one of those that was scared of using my bread machine that MyNi sent me....This was SOOOO easy and SOOO good! YUM! I had a pic to post, but it wasn't as good as the one already posted...THANK YOU!!! You helped me tremendously, and I truly appreciate your posting this! :)