Recipe by dividend
This is a very reliable standard bread machine recipe for a 1 lb loaf. Too many people I know have bread machines but don't use them because they don't know how to do anything but use a mix! This will make a nice soft loaf as is, and it's also a great jumping off point for experimentation. Try varying the types of flour, fat, and sugar. Or try adding things like spices, nuts, mustards, or cheeses. My goal with this recipe is to get people comfortable enough with baking in their bread machines that they'll experiment. (If your machine only makes a 2 lb loaf, simply double all the ingredients.)
- 2⁄3 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar or 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the ingredients to your bread pan in the order listed.
- Set your machine to 1 lb / white bread.
- Alternatively, set your machine for the dough cycle. When it's finished, take the dough out, shape it into a round loaf, cover, and let rise until doubled. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.
- In both cases, cool on a wire rack before slicing.