Nana Lee's Note:
No waiting for rise with this recipe! This is the biscuit recipe she used for the Country Fried Steak & Gravy, which I posted separately. She, also, preferred to use lard instead of Crisco! Great tip in step 4 provided by unknown reviewer. (NOTE Granny T suggests you increase salt to 1 tsp)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- 2Dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside.
- 3Mix dry ingredients together.
- 4Cut in shortening. (NOTE: P.S. if you freeze the shortening first, then grate the frozen shortening into the dry mixture it blends perfectly throughout and simplifies the process. This tip supplied by a reviewer).
- 5Add yeast and buttermilk and mix well.
- 6Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and roll out to desired thickness.
- 7Cut with small biscuit cutter and place on greased baking sheet.
- 8Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Biscuits - from Paula Deen
Serving Size: 1 (1441 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1319.5
- Calories from Fat 494
- Total Fat 54.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 6.5 mg
- Sodium 1348.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 177.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 16.7 g
- Protein 27.9 g