Recipe by Nana Lee
No waiting for rise with this recipe! This is the biscuit recipe she used for the Country Fried Steak & Gravy, which I posted separately. She, also, preferred to use lard instead of Crisco! Great tip in step 4 provided by unknown reviewer. (NOTE Granny T suggests you increase salt to 1 tsp)
Top Review by lmic2
I made these biscuits tonight and was very surprised at how wonderful they came out. I can not tell you how many times I have tried to make biscuits and ended up making the squirrels happy and having little poka dots all over the lawn. These biscuits are the best! Thanks
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm water
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (see NOTE above)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup solid shortening (recommend frozen Crisco)
- 2 cups buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Cut in shortening. (NOTE: P.S. if you freeze the shortening first, then grate the frozen shortening into the dry mixture it blends perfectly throughout and simplifies the process. This tip supplied by a reviewer).
- Add yeast and buttermilk and mix well.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and roll out to desired thickness.
- Cut with small biscuit cutter and place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.