Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This isn't anything fancy, just a basic biscotti.
- 4 ounces blanched almonds
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 degrees F.
- Spread almonds on a baking sheet and toast them in oven until lightly golden.
- Let cool.
- Coarsely chop half the nuts.
- Butter 2 large baking sheets.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Beat in eggs, then whole and chopped nuts.
- Mix to obtain a firm dough.
- Knead briefly, then divide dough into 2 pieces.
- On a floured work surface, roll each piece under your hands into a cylinder 15 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Place 2 rolls, well separated, on each baking sheet and bake 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- With a spatula, carefully transfer the rolls to a cutting board and slice each onediagonally into cookies about 1/2-inch thick.
- Set wire racks on the baking sheets and lay out the biscotti on them.
- Return them to the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until very firm and crisp.
- Cool on the racks, then transfer them to a tin for long keeping.
Terrific & easy!! I took out the nuts and added cranberries and orange est with a little dip in white chocolate.....used to buy it. Now I make it. Yummy!! Thanks for this recipe!
Overall the taste is pretty good and it is a very easy recipe. However, the chef who commented that the egg smell was too much is correct. When doing step # 12, I almost gagged. I did sprinkle cinnamon on the cut pieces which did hide the smell a bit once they were done. Next time I'd use only 2 eggs and try the yogurt idea.
Good recipe! I'm new to biscotti and have had some flops. This was easy. Too sweet though. I used 1 cup sugar- 1/2 white, 1/2 brown and they were very sweet. I also only had 2 eggs so I SUBSTITUED plain YOGURT the 1 & these turned out great! Added anise and almond extract- yummy. This is a great basic biscotti to play with. Firm just as biscottii should be for dippping! Excellent.