Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A very "basic" beet borscht recipe. Posted in reply to a message board request.
Make and share this "Basic" Beet Borscht recipe from Food.com.
- Cut off beet greens from the beets but leave about an inch or two of the tops on the beets.
- **Option:mince removed beet tops to add later.
- Scrub the beets well.
- In a large pot, add beets and cover with cold water (about 3/4 full).
- Bring the water to a boil and boil this for about 15-25 minutes until the beets are cooked.
- Remove the beets from the water; save the water from the beets ("beetjuice").
- Remove the skins from the beets.
- Strain the"beet juice" (through a cheese cloth lined sieve) into a pot.
- Peel and grate the onion.
- Grate the beets (can use food processor for grating onion and beets).
- Put the grated onion and beets into the pot with the strained beet juice.
- **Option:you can add the finely chopped/minced beet tops, if you want to use them.
- Bring all to a quick boil.
- Add the salt, lemon juice, pepper (optional), and honey (optional), simmer until the honey has dissolved and all is well heated.
- Serve, garnished with a dollop of sour cream (optional).