A very "basic" beet borscht recipe. Posted in reply to a message board request.
My Private Note
Pot of ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut off beet greens from the beets but leave about an inch or two of the tops on the beets.
- 2**Option:mince removed beet tops to add later.
- 3Scrub the beets well.
- 4In a large pot, add beets and cover with cold water (about 3/4 full).
- 5Bring the water to a boil and boil this for about 15-25 minutes until the beets are cooked.
- 6Remove the beets from the water; save the water from the beets ("beetjuice").
- 7Remove the skins from the beets.
- 8Strain the"beet juice" (through a cheese cloth lined sieve) into a pot.
- 9Peel and grate the onion.
- 10Grate the beets (can use food processor for grating onion and beets).
- 11Put the grated onion and beets into the pot with the strained beet juice.
- 12**Option:you can add the finely chopped/minced beet tops, if you want to use them.
- 13Bring all to a quick boil.
- 14Add the salt, lemon juice, pepper (optional), and honey (optional), simmer until the honey has dissolved and all is well heated.
- 15Serve, garnished with a dollop of sour cream (optional).
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "Basic" Beet Borscht
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.9
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3782.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 32.5 g
- Protein 6.9 g