1/5 Photos of Basic Beef Stew
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I know, I know, not another beef stew recipe. But, after reviewing 5 pages of beef stew recipes posted here, this does not appear to be a duplicate. It's our favorite. When I use my pressure cooker it's ready in less than an hour, and the flavor can't be beat. Note for the World Tour participants - stews are an English tradition, and typically include meat and root vegetables. English peas are also very common in British cookery.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 907.18 g stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 946.36 ml water
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 4 bay leaves
- 2.46 ml thyme leaves (or 1 sprig fresh)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 453.59 g peeled carrot, cut in large pieces
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 283.49 g package frozen peas
- 1In large Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
- 2Add meat; brown well.
- 3Add onion and garlic; saute until transparent.
- 4Add 4 cups water (slightly less if using pressure cooker) and tomato sauce.
- 5Add bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper.
- 6Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
- 7Add carrots, potatoes and peas.
- 8Cover and cook 30 minutes on medium low or until vegetables are tender.
- 9Add corn starch slurry if sauce is too watery.
- 10Bring stew to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 11Boil 1 minute.
- 12Add Maggi seasoning and serve with crusty rolls.
- 13**Note-Time can be reduced if cooking in a pressure cooker.
- 14However, please check your pressure cooker instruction booklet for proper times.
- 15Each pressure cooker is different.
- 16Mine reduces time by 1/3.
- 17Some others reduce cooking time by 2/3.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (626 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 439.6
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 96.7 mg
- Sodium 823.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 38.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: