Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Found this on the Trader Joe's website and made it my own. It was my first time making a stew and it came out delicious! I know there are more extravagant beef stew recipes, but this was really easy to make. Hope you enjoy.
- 1 cup flour
- salt & pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup carrot (cubed)
- 1 cup celery (cubed)
- 1 cup onion (cubed)
- 2 cups russet potatoes (cubed)
- 2 cups chicken broth (or 1/2 cup red wine 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth)
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- Season flour with salt and pepper. Dredge the meat in flour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet. Brown meat in two batches. Place browned meat in slow cooker.
- Add remaining oil (1 tbsp) to the heated skillet and cook carrots, celery, onion & potatoes for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place sautéed vegetables in crock pot on top of meat.
- Pour broth (and wine if using) into skillet and stir to deglaze the pan. Pour mixture over meat and vegetables.
- Add thyme, cover and cook on the high setting for 2 hours. Drop the temperature to the low setting and continue cooking for an additional 3-4 hours, or until meat is fork tender. (The recipe stated that you could also do the entire cooking process on low for 6-8 hours -- I did the entire cooking process in 3 hours on high, which is why I listed the cooking time as 3 hours).
I used beef broth and red wine in this and added a clove of garlic and some fresh mushrooms. At the last moment I also threw in some frozen peas. I cooked it for 8 hours on low. The meat was nice and tender and the flavor was excellent. Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2012.
The only thing I did different from the recipe was that I didn't use the thyme. It's not our favorite spice/herb. Instead I put in about 1/2 teaspoon of ground sage, which has a similar taste but a bit milder. My DH loved it so much he had me save the one serving which was left for his lunch tomorrow. This was a very good flavored stew. Since I prefer to have Beef Stew have a rich brown color I will add some kitchen bouquet next time. Thanks for a nice dinner. Made for PAC Spring 2012.