Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Low Fat - Delicious - It can (should) be made in advance, and eaten over many days. Add water to reheat. Even better, add fresh veggies at each meal. -- BETTER the next day.... NOTE: For low carb, leave out potatoes, or substitute other hard veggies, like fresh green beans.
- 1 lb beef chuck, cubed
- 1 medium onion
- 3 large celery ribs, cut into medium size pieces
- 4 large carrots, cut into medium size pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled & cut into medium size pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white flour
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 -4 cups water
- salt & pepper
- Rinse meat, and pat dry with paper towel. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, and dust with flour.
- Heat olive oil to medium-high/high in stew pot - I prefer lg Le Creuset dutch oven.
- Sear seasoned, floured meat -- approx 1 min per side -- stir with wooden spoon, once.
- Add onion to brown with meat -- brown is the goal, black becomes bitter!
- Toss in celery, 2 carrots, bay leaves, and water (start with 2 cups) -- water should hit a HOT, sizzling pot.
- Stir with wooden spoon to help release seared sugars (the brown stuff) into water.
- Turn down to "low".
- Cover & simmer (or cook in oven) for 2 hours, minimum.
- Stir occasionally, Adding water as needed.
- 20-30 minutes before serving, add potatoes & remaining carrots.