Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 12 hrs
This is a basic recipe for jerky made in a dehydrator. It can also be made in an oven on the lowest temperature setting with the door left cracked open. The oven method can take up to 24 hours. Please check the Canning, Dehydrating forum for more information on jerky and dehydrating. Use this recipe as a starting point to customize to your individual taste.
- Trim most of the fat from the meat and cut into 1/8"-1/4" thick slices.
- Combine all the ingredients except the meat in a large bowl.
- Stir until the seasonings dissolve.
- Add the meat and mix until thoroughly coated.
- Let stand for at least 1 hour or cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- Shake off excess liquid and put the slices in the dehydrator.
- Dehydrate for 12 hours or until desired doneness at the highest temperature setting.
Excellent! I oven dried mine - which with my extremely thin sliced steak - took approx. 6 hours. It was still bendable but not brittle. Taste is very good. Next time I might experiment and add a couple dashes of hot pepper or even hot red pepper flakes, and maybe some brown sugar. I am also planning on trying this with turkey! Thanks for posting --