I use this as a starting point for macaroni, and then add and subtract from here. It's perfect the way it is, though. Here I listed cheddar for the cheese, but hubby likes a colby and monterey jack combo better, so that's what I usually use.
- Boil macaroni noodles until tender; drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter on medium heat.
- Add flour one tablespoon at a time, and whisking between each addition.
- Whisk in seasonings, and cook for a couple of minutes, whisking constantly, so as not to burn.
- Add milk, half a cup at a time, whisking together between each addition. Allow to thicken (and keep on slowly whisking).
- Add all but a handful of cheese (for topping) and stir until completely incorporated.
- Add cheese sauce to macaroni noodles, then put everything into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then broil for an additional couple of minutes to crisp up the top (watch it so the top doesn't burn).