1/1 Photo of Basic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Panhandle Sam's Note:
I use this as a starting point for macaroni, and then add and subtract from here. It's perfect the way it is, though. Here I listed cheddar for the cheese, but hubby likes a colby and monterey jack combo better, so that's what I usually use.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil macaroni noodles until tender; drain and set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 350.
- 3In a medium sauce pan, melt butter on medium heat.
- 4Add flour one tablespoon at a time, and whisking between each addition.
- 5Whisk in seasonings, and cook for a couple of minutes, whisking constantly, so as not to burn.
- 6Add milk, half a cup at a time, whisking together between each addition. Allow to thicken (and keep on slowly whisking).
- 7Add all but a handful of cheese (for topping) and stir until completely incorporated.
- 8Add cheese sauce to macaroni noodles, then put everything into a baking dish.
- 9Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- 10Bake for 25 minutes, then broil for an additional couple of minutes to crisp up the top (watch it so the top doesn't burn).
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.3
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 61.1 mg
- Sodium 309.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 16.9 g