Recipe by Hootenanny
Straightforward mac n cheese made w/ a white sauce and using plain yogurt in the recipe and reserved cheese topping. I left out salt on this and let ea. person add their own salt and extra pepper at the table. Also, I freshly grate my nutmeg and use NY State Cheddar. This is a starting point for mac and cheese. Some embellish it with tomato, other cheeses, onion, green or sweet red peppers, buttered bread crumbs or cracker topping etc. I adapted it from "Now....Your'e Cooking" website.
Top Review by Crafty Lady 13
This was a good mac and cheese dish. Very easy to make. There is a light tanginess from the yogurt. I made the recipe exactly as written, but I still prefer a mix of cheddar and Velveeta cheeses. Made for PAC Spring 2013.
- 473.18 ml macaroni, uncooked
- 29.58 ml butter
- 29.58 ml flour
- 177.44 ml milk
- 0.59 ml ground pepper, to taste
- 0.75 ml nutmeg
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 236.59 ml plain yogurt
- 473.18 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni in salted water until done. Drain. Put into a med. bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Whisk over medium heat 2 minutes. Whisk in milk. Cook over med. heat until thickened.Remove from heat.
- Whisk in spices. Stir in yogurt and 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese. Pour over macaroni and mix together with a spoon. Pour into a small buttered casserole dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- 4 dinner servings or 6 side dish servings.