1/2 Photos of Basic Baked Mac and Cheese
Straightforward mac n cheese made w/ a white sauce and using plain yogurt in the recipe and reserved cheese topping. I left out salt on this and let ea. person add their own salt and extra pepper at the table. Also, I freshly grate my nutmeg and use NY State Cheddar. This is a starting point for mac and cheese. Some embellish it with tomato, other cheeses, onion, green or sweet red peppers, buttered bread crumbs or cracker topping etc. I adapted it from "Now....Your'e Cooking" website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook macaroni in salted water until done. Drain. Put into a med. bowl.
- 2Preheat oven to 350º F.
- 3Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Whisk over medium heat 2 minutes. Whisk in milk. Cook over med. heat until thickened.Remove from heat.
- 4Whisk in spices. Stir in yogurt and 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese. Pour over macaroni and mix together with a spoon. Pour into a small buttered casserole dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- 5Bake for 30 minutes.
- 64 dinner servings or 6 side dish servings.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Baked Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 554.9
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 88.9 mg
- Sodium 455.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 25.0 g