1/5 Photos of Basic Bagel (For the Bread Machine)
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Is there anything as simple or as versatile as a bagel? This recipe turns dough into sweet, moist chewy bagels that will last for days!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 3 cups white bread flour
- 3 1/3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fast rise yeast or 3 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1Remove dough from the machine after the first knead- approximately 20- 30 minutes.
- 2Place dough on floured surface.
- 3Divide into 8 parts.
- 4Form balls, gently press thumb through center of ball and slowly stretch into bagel shape.
- 5While bagels rise, bring 3 quarts water and 1 TBS sugar to a rapid boil in a large sauce pan.
- 6Drop test dough (see first success hint).
- 7Using slotted spoon, drop 2-3 bagels into rapidly boiling water.
- 8Boil on each side for 1 1/2 minutes.
- 9Remove and cool on rack 1 minute, brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds, if desired.
- 10Bake at 400°F on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal, until golden brown- approximately 15 minutes.
- 11Bagel Success Hints: When forming bagels, set aside two 1/4" balls of dough.
- 12When bagels have doubled in size, drop the test dough into boiling water.
- 13Dough should pop to the top right away.
- 14When this happens, it is time to boil the bagels.
- 15A quick spray of non-stick vegetable coating on the top of the bagel may be substituted for the egg wash.
- 16To make bagel sticks, cut bagel before rising and lay out in a straight line.
- 17Roll sticks in a combination of sesame and poppy seeds with a pinch of garlic powder.
- 18Let sticks rise, boil, and bake as described in Basic Bagel process steps above.
- 19To make bagel chips, slice leftover bagels horizontally into thin slices.
- 20Brush with butter or margarine on one side.
- 21Lay (butter side up) on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 325°F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Bagel (For the Bread Machine)
Serving Size: 1 (79 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.3
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 18.6 mg
- Sodium 243.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 4.9 g