Recipe by Just Happy
Basic bacon spread recipe from Skillet Street Food, by chef Josh Henderson - I have modified the steps and cooking times for personal preferences.
- 2 lbs smoked bacon, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown bacon in a large skillet over medium low heat.
- Stirring often, render out 1 tbsp fat.
- Set aside large skillet.
- Place the 1 tbsp bacon fat into a medium skillet.
- Add onions and saute over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add cinegar, sugar pepper and salt.
- Cook and stir for 10 minutes.
- Place cooked onion mixture into the bacon in the large skillet.
- Cook bacon over low heat for 3 hours, stirring occasionally, until most liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, puree, let cool
- Keep refrigerated for up to 3 weeks.
- Makes 2 cups.