Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Makes enough for a good party. Found recipe on a food blog.
- 2 lbs eggplants, any variety (about 2 or 3 depending on size)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 dash fresh basil (optional) or 1 dash other herbs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Trim and halve eggplants lengthwise. Coat with a little olive oil and roast for 45-60 minutes. Let cool, and squeeze out any remaining juices.
- Cut eggplant into coarse chunks and place into a food processor or blender, working in batches if necessary. Pulse together with tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt and spices for a minute or two, stopping to scrape down the sides occasionally. Drizzle in two tablespoons of olive oil while pulsing. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt or spices if desired.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve immediately with a drizzle of olive oil on top. Or, cover and chill for an hour before serving to let flavors develop. Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.