Recipe by sheriboren
This is an adopted recipe from Mean Chef. I plan on making this very soon, it sounds great! Mean Chefs words are: Use it on ribs, pork shoulders, chickens - anything you want to taste like American barbecue
Top Review by Big Sis
Just had Rib's last night at my BBL. This was the recipe he was using! Outstanding. So happy to find it already posted! He uses it along with a Basic BBQ Sauce that his kids and grandkids say "Papa Sauce" !
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons black pepper
- 3 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon hickory smoke salt or 1 tablespoon more coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to mix.
- (Actually, your hands work better for mixing than a spoon or whisk does. Use your fingers to break up any lumps of brown sugar.) Store the rub in an airtight jar away from heat or light; it will keep for at least 6 months.
- Use 2 to 3 teaspoons per pound of meat.
- A 4-pound chicken will take 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons.
- To make a spicier rub, substitute hot paprika for some or all of the sweet paprika.