Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Ed Baines-posted in response to a recipe request. This looks like a rustic pesto,not like store bought versions. I haven't tried it as of yet, but I imagine processing would make it smoother if desired.
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 50 g whole blanched almonds
- 50 g basil leaves, roughly torn
- 4 tablespoons pecorino cheese, grated
- 150 ml extra virgin olive oil
- lemon juice, to taste
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- Pound the garlic and almonds in a large pestle and mortar with a little salt.
- Add the basil leaves, a few at the time, pounding and grinding the leaves against the side of the bowl.
- Stir in the grated cheese and mix well.
- Beat in the olive oil and lemon juice, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Store in a screw top jar in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Very good. Always add garlic slowly while tasting because garlic comes in various strengths. If you are vegan, try omitting cheese or using nutritional yeast as a substitute.