Recipe by Bromleygirl
From Ed Baines-posted in response to a recipe request. This looks like a rustic pesto,not like store bought versions. I haven't tried it as of yet, but I imagine processing would make it smoother if desired.
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 50 g whole blanched almonds
- 50 g basil leaves, roughly torn
- 4 tablespoons pecorino cheese, grated
- 150 ml extra virgin olive oil
- lemon juice, to taste
- salt & fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound the garlic and almonds in a large pestle and mortar with a little salt.
- Add the basil leaves, a few at the time, pounding and grinding the leaves against the side of the bowl.
- Stir in the grated cheese and mix well.
- Beat in the olive oil and lemon juice, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Store in a screw top jar in the refrigerator until ready to serve.