1/2 Photos of Basic All Purpose Brine for Meats, Chicken, and Turkey
3 hrs 15 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
I like the combination of flavors in this brine more than any other I have tried.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Makes 1 quart- make up additional amounts of brine if needed until meat is submerged.
- 2Stir ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 3Continue stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- 4Allow to cool.
- 5Place meat or poultry in a food safe plastic bag inside another container for support and leakage control (oven roasting bags are a fine choice- NOT garbage bags).
- 6Pour cooled brine into bag, and squeeze out as much air as possible and seal with a twistie tie.
- 7Refrigerate for 3-4 hours for 3 pounds meat (such as pork ribs), 5-6 hours for a nice roasting hen, or 12-24 hours for a turkey, 12 hours being for a small one and the longer time for those turkeys around 20+ pounds.
- 8Discard brine before using and pat meat dry.
- 9If using poultry, you may want to add citrus fruit such as oranges or lemons, additional fresh herbs, or cloves of garlic into the cavity.
- 10Prepare meat as desired- roast, bbq, etc.
Browse Our Top Marinades and Rubs Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Marinades and Rubs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic All Purpose Brine for Meats, Chicken, and Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (1225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 458.2
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 56649.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 106.9 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: