1/2 Photos of Baseler Leckerli (Swiss Spice Cookies)
This recipe is posted in response to a request. It's adapted from a recipe by Otto Eckstein, executive pastry chef at the Pan Pacific Hotel in San Francisco, CA.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- 3Sift together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg and baking soda.
- 4Combine honey, sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- 5Place over low heat until the honey just melts- do not let it boil.
- 6Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer fitted with the dough hook.
- 7Let cool slightly.
- 8Add the sifted flour mixture, the almonds, orange peel and lemon zest.
- 9Blend until the mixture comes together in a heavy, sticky dough, adding a spoonful or two of water if needed.
- 10(The mixing can be done by hand, but it's labor intensive) Resist the urge to add more water to make the dough easier to handle; it would impair the texture of the finished cookies.
- 11Spread the dough about 1/2 to 1 inch thick on the baking sheets, forming 3 rectangles, each about 8 x 9 inches.
- 12Bake for about 20 minutes, until the tops turn a medium brown.
- 13When the dough rectangles have baked, remove pans to a rack and immediately brush the tops with glaze.
- 14Let cool for 10 minutes.
- 15Cut into 1 x 3-inch bars or into diamond shapes.
- 16Transfer to racks to cool completely.
- 17Ice with a simple sugar glaze.
- 18Store in airtight containers, placing wax paper between layers.
- 19Let rest at least 1 week, preferably longer.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baseler Leckerli (Swiss Spice Cookies)
Serving Size: 1 (1103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 63.6
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 21.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied orange peel
lemons, zest of