Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Sudan(East Africa) for the Zaar World Tour II.
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup oil
- 500 g yogurt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- Beat eggs and sugar. Add oil and yogurt and mix.
- In a separate bowl sift flour and add baking powder and coconut, then add to the mixture while stirring.
- Spread mixture onto greased 9x13" dish. Bake for 30 minutes 200° Celsius/400°F.
- In another saucepan, mix sugar and lemon with water, boil until syrup thickens.
- When cake is cooked, pour syrup over evenly so it soaks through.
Wow! Half of 9X13 pan was gone before supper! The wonderful smell of the cooking cake drew them in the kitchen. Moist,so good, I think it was the use of the yogurt. I have never used yogurt before in a cake, I certainly will again. It smelled like a pancake cooking in the oven. My edges of the cake were a little crispy at 400* but the cake was done in the middle and the crispy edges were ok. I used vanilla yogurt,butter and also used the vanilla extract.The instructions did not say when to put the vanilla in but I put with the liquids. I also let the sugar, lemon juice and water come to a rolling boil, poked holes in the cake with a fork and poured while the cake was still hot. This is a quick, economical, rich tasting moist cake that I would serve anytime especially for guests with a scoop of lemon sherbet.
GREAT TASTE, EASY PREP, how much more could a person want! I, too, used a vanilla yogurt (fat-free, in my case, 'cause that's what I have around most of the time)! Particularly appreciated the hot topping that soaked in! Definitely a keeper! [Made & reviewed while on tour in Africa on the Zaar World Tour 4]
Loved this cake, but quick suggestion, let people know how long to boil the syrup. I boiled mine too long and it turned out almost too hard to use. My big BooBoo not yours. Thank You for the recipe.