Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
The cooking times below are for 21/25 shrimp (that is, the size of the shrimp is such that there are 21 to 25 in 1 pound.) If 21/25 shrimp are not available, adjust cooking times slightly. Either a nonstick or traditional skillet will work for this recipe, but a nonstick will simplify cleanup. Note this is a base recipe that I use many other recipes. I acquired this recipe from Cook's Illistrated magazine.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 21/25 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12 inch skillet over high heat until smoking.
- Meanwhile, toss shrimp, salt, pepper, and sugar in medium bowl.
- Add half of shrimp to pan in single layer and cook until spotty borwn and edges turn pink, about 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat; using tongs, flip each shrimp and let stand until all but very center is opaque.
- Repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and shrimp; after second bath has stood off heat, return first batch to skillet and toss to combine.
- Cover skillet and let satnd until shrimp are cooked through 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.